Sunday, February 25, 2024

Ponder: The Fragile Threads of Power

Although I claim I am not a fan of fantasy, I do like this author. I first read her stand alone book The Invisible Life of Addie Larue and rated it five stars in my 11/14/21 review of it. The Fragile Threads of Power ©2023 is the fifth book by V. E. Schwab I have read and greatly enjoyed. I seriously considered rating it five stars because of the plot intricacies, and the elaborate settings of three Londons (Red, Grey, and White) with various levels of magic, and the ambience of the markets (one even floating). In terms of plot intricacies, is one kingdom trying to take over another? Who is faithful and who is a traitor? Is vengeance the primary driver? Such is the basic Game of Thrones type undercurrent of the plot. Although, personally, I am notoriously politically ignorant, I could follow this scheming with relish and pleasure. The characters are plentiful and a delight (princes, kings, queens, magicians, pirates, priests, young adolescents) and the villains are dastardly.


I rated the three books in her Shades of Magic trilogy, which I read after The Invisible Life of Addie Larue, either 4 or 5 stars in my three posts, (4/28/22) (5/21/22) (5/23/22). Then I had a concern that a novice reader picking up The Fragile Threads of Power because of my five star rating for it, could subsequently be confused and disappointed. The characters within the Shades of Magic trilogy are reprised in The Fragile Threads of Power


As background from the Shades of Magic trilogy:
Kell is part of the royal family in Red London; he is an Antari, a blood magician, but in The Fragile Threads of Power his magic has changed. An Antari can pass through portals between the Londons. Delila Bard is a streetwise thief with a thirst for adventure and a spunky, independent attitude to go with it. She has grown from adolescence and her magic has matured. When Kell and Lila's two paths initially crossed, the two formed a bond – a bond which both of them vehemently denied; but the vehemence of denial is beginning to fade in The Fragile Threads of Power. Alucard is a privateer and has become a consort of the no-longer-prince, but-now-king, Rhy. Rhy and Kell are brothers by adoption and also bonded to either other, in a disconcerting way, by a magic spell. These characters age and morph in The Fragile Threads of Power. There are new characters introduced from other Londons. Several are mere children such as the little queen Kosika and young tinkerer Tes with her owl Vares. New villains emerge.

I am in a conundrum. When books are in a series and the same characters carry over to the next title, should the book's star rating be degraded since a new reader might be lost, having not read the precursors? Not necessarily. V. E. Schwab did an excellent job in this book to remind the reader what occurred in the previous trilogy, both in terms of plot and characters. After just a bit of head scratching, I would realize, "Oh yes, of course. I remember. That makes sense!" Plus the characters formed in the Shades of Magic trilogy are not static. They have matured, and their circumstances have also changed. The characterization in The Fragile Threads of Power is not stagnant at all. Also, there are new characters introduced, young, unique, and with inventive backgrounds and skills. The character field is creative and never dull. I look forward to their growth in what I am guessing (hoping) will be further additions to this Fragile Threads series. The swashbuckling fights scenes are riveting; the offensive and defensive moves are clever, desperate, inventive, and surprisingly effective.  

I have talked myself into it. I rate The Fragile Threads of Power five stars. If future readers have not read the previous trilogy, then they have some catching up to do for maximum enjoyment.

★★★★★ Great! Read it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, a five-start book! And your description sounds pretty exciting too: I do love fantasy, so I went ahead and bought the first book (A Darker Shade of Magic) for my kindle. I used to love these sorts of political intrigue fantasies, but had to give them up when my kids slowed down my reading. The kids are older now, so we'll see if I can get through the first book in this series fast enough to remember the beginning when I get to the end!

    ReplyDelete