Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ponder Post: Ten Good Reasons

Ten Good Reasons is the second published novel by the author Lauren Christopher. It is set in Dana Point, CA, like her first novel, The Red Bikini, (which I reviewed in my post for January 5th, 2015). The setting is fun and special for me because, when my son and daughter-in-law were married in 2011, it is where we stayed and where some wedding weekend activities were held. My daughter-in-law is a member of the same women's book club as the author and I have been invited to and enjoyed participating in a couple of their meetings.


Ten Good Reasons is a light romance that is an enjoyable non-taxing read. It has an overarching storyline of the establishment and growth of a whale watching business. The heroine, Lia, is an optimistic, cheerful, workaholic public relations manager who crosses paths with a brooding ex-Coast Guard captain, Evan, who is reluctantly pressed into piloting the whale touring catamaran. The whale sightings and interactions are exciting and action filled.

Lia and Evan are both likable, believable, main characters, not too complex but intriguing enough to get me invested in how they fared. Where their relationship is going is predictable, but the path to get them there is a fun, quirky, twisty, moderately suspenseful ride. There is a good mix of well-defined characters – a spoiled young millionaire admirer, a "found-meditative-religion" type boyfriend in absentia, and a Cruella Deville type boss – to stir up some conflict. This was a welcome change of pace for me since, in the previous book I read, I did not like any of the characters. I will admit, the instant physical attraction of Lia for Evan is a stretch, but I believe this to be a necessary ingredient, no matter how improbable, of any light romance novel. At least Lia is not a total idiot about it, and just maybe I am a bit of a cynic with the whole lust-at-first-sight thing. In both of Lauren Christopher's novels, I like that the women were not total ditzes. They had their foibles, but they were self-sufficient, with decent brains. I enjoyed this book. Reading it was a very pleasant way to pass a few hours. I will watch for and read her next novel.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you read this book. Were you an advanced reader? If you haven't posted your review on Amazon, I know that Laurie would appreciate it if you did! I've read the first few pages of the book, but haven't been able to really dive into it yet - maybe one of of our summer vacations, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not an advanced reader. Truth be told, I spotted it at your house and that is how I knew it had been published. I did order it through Amazon though. Funny thing however, when I order a book through Amazon I restrict myself to reading only the first descriptive review, then go back and read the others only after I have read the book. Sometimes reader reviews have spoilers or viewpoints that creep into them and I do not want my opinion of the book to be biased ahead of time.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun read! And it is kind of cool to be able to put an author's name with an actual face. Not everyone can do that!

    ReplyDelete