Saturday, September 19, 2020

101 Dalmatians Theater Show

Yet another Wander Post! All right. I am cheating. This post is for an outing that occurred with Alex in January. But in clearing more paperwork (a never-ending task) I came across the tickets and the program for 101 Dalmatians. Since I have had so few "Wander" posts in 2020, I decided capture the mini-adventure as a post that would be a welcome break from all the "Ponder" book reviews. Better late than never.

I saw an ad for this production staged with child actors. Alex loves, loves, loves, 101 Dalmatians and knows the story forward and backward. I also thought a child ensemble might amuse him. There would be three performances January 25th: Saturday's class at 11 am, Tuesday's class at 2pm and Thursday class at 5pm. We had tickets to the 2 pm matinee.




I was not expecting a professional-level, Broadway-caliber performance from a cast of kids based on their having taken some acting classes, but I was hopeful it would be audible and entertaining. The kids did amazingly great. They were understandable, they remembered their lines and timing, their singing was on cue and on key, and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves. The costumes were creatively minimal and distinguished the characters very well. Perhaps I did have a bit of trouble telling one dalmatian from another but the same thing is true in the movie. 



Alex had good time and stayed engage throughout the entire performance. Attending a kids's show (without being a parent or grandparent of one of the performers) was an experiment and it worked out to be a lot of fun. Frank and I would do it again with Alex for the right show where we were already familiar with the plot and songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment