Monday, November 13, 2017

Houston, Oklahoma City, Home

Thursday, November 2nd, I flew to Houston and met up with my daughter Robin to spend two days, Friday and Saturday, with her at the International Quilt Festival. I have an extensive post about the two days at the quilt show itself in my DianeLoves2Quilt blog post for 11/9/17 so be sure to check it out. A small subset of the photos are in this post as a brief summary of that first half of the trip in Houston. Other photos are from the second half of the trip in Oklahoma City, Sunday through Tuesday.  I returned Wednesday, November 8th. Frank's Birthday was November 10th.

My flight out, a direct, non-stop one from Oakland was great. Going through security before hand was – well, memorable. I was not TSA-pre. I had gotten spoiled because my recent previous flights have all been TSA-pre. The rule is that children 12 and under, as well as passengers 75 and older, can keep their shoes on when going through security; otherwise being non-TSA you must remove your shoes. My shoes have Velcro closures so they are not that big a pain to remove and put back on.


I was in the process of undoing the Velcro, when one of the female security monitors at the security gate leans over and "reminds" me, "Ma'am if you are 75 you do not need to remove your shoes". In mild shock, I stared her right in the eyes, a black woman generously-sized like me, and barked out at her, "How old are you?" Startled she stammered, "64". I said, "Exactly my age! How would you feel if someone thought you were 75? I will take my shoes off, thank you very much." That became the running joke of my visit with Robin:
     "I better sit down and rest now. I am, after all, 75." 
     "You better carry my packages. After all, I am 75."
     "Load my suitcase? Yes, please. This feeble 75 year old cannot manage it!"
     "Take a break to eat now? Yes, we'd better so this 75-year old can keep up her strength."

Robin's flight to Houston got in before mine. We were staying at the Double Tree Hilton at Hobby Airport so she took the shuttle there and then three hours later took the short shuttle ride back to meet me at the airport. We ate dinner at the airport so once settled in our room, we would not have to leave again. That is hard on 75 year olds. Time in Houston occurred the week after the Houston Astros had won their first World Series in the fifty-one years of franchise history. The city was excited. Even marquees of the restaurants in the airport sported congratulations. 


The ride from our airport hotel to the convention center was under a half hour. Hotels closer were booked and expensive but this choice worked out great.


Although we got there too late to get a parking spot in the garage associated with the Convention Center on our first day, we were lucky enough to score the very last spot in the nearby Toyota center garage. A very narrow teeny-tiny valet space, Robin let me out first and then squeezed herself out of the driver's side of the rental car.


This is my first recorded image of Robin and my arrival at the George R. Brown Convention Center, her feet at top, my toes below. Yes, those are the infamous Velcro closing shoes of airport security notoriety.


Robin demonstrating "we have arrived" was my second image after we passed through the entrance doors.


On our first day there was a parade about a half mile from the convention center where the quilt show was held. During our lunch break Friday at the show we sat near a window and saw the parade goers filing by all decked out in a sea of orange and carrying banners. Although we could have made the effort to walk over to the parade route, we didn't, instead succumbing to the lure of fabrics and quilts.


Afterwards Frank pointed out to me an example of the exuberance and excitement of the parade crowds that we had chosen to forgo. Someone dropped her hat from an upper level of a parking garage and the crowd passed it back on up to her in this YouTube video. I have no regrets. 

We enjoyed looking at quilts and the fabric and tool and pattern wares of the vendors and tuckered ourselves 10:00 am until 7:00 pm both days. The Stitchin' Heaven steer was a photo opportunity location on the vendor side of the quilt festival. We both look happy. I am sporting my bobbin necklace and Robin is wearing her super sewing machine T-shirt.


A huge 12 feet x 14 foot quilt sported blocks from each of the fifty states and Washington D.C. I thought it fitting to show the block for Oklahoma since that ws outr nxt destination after leaving the show.


As we left the parking garage on Saturday evening, heading to Houston Hobby airport for our flight up to Oklahoma City, I took this parting view of front of the convention center.


At the airport checkin counter we got a surprise. Every Southwest terminal displayed this notice. Something in the commemorative programs was setting off the security alarms for checked luggage and so the program had to be in totes hand carried on board. I wish I had been quick enough to take a picture of Robin plopped on a spare space of floor behind an unmanned ticker counter, suitcase contents splayed across the floor, as she pawed through bags of fabric (plus our unmentionables) to find our programs and remove them.


Once at my daughter's house I got to enjoy my grandkids, of course but also see some of my daughter's handiwork up close. My granddaughter is modeling the knit dress her mom made for her that she to wore to the Comicon convention. I love the Princess Lei hairdo that goes with the dress.



In a rare moment when my granddaughter stood still, I snapped this picture of her lovely wavy blond hair. She is wearing a dress with a navy knit top and a shark print bottom that her mom also made. Yes, her tastes are eclectic. It is a good thing her mom keeps and eye out for specialty fabrics and  loves to sew them up for her.


This is a better view of her shark dress her mom sewed for her. I snagged from my daughter's blog. For even more dress views check out RobinLovesQuilting post dated 9/6/17.


My grandson is at an age where he did not want me to touch him or go near him. Consequently any photos I took of him are of necessity a lower resolution. I had to take them at a distance and zoom in! He did quite enjoy the stretchy Spiderman I'd brought for him.


We soon learned that the blue parts are not as stretchy as the red. Being all red, with shreds of blue still clinging in bits to his body, his dad told him the character became Carnage. He accepted that quite readily.


I'd also brought jackets for the kids. Once I emptied out the gifts I would have more room for the fabric my daughter had had to stash in her suitcase for me on the trip up from Houston. My grandson got a Paw Patrol jacket.


It had an extra hood mesh insert. Note both of these photos were taken in the mirror from outside the bathroom with the zoom maxed out on my iPhone.


My granddaughter got a SuperGirl jacket and she loved the satin cape that came with it.


My grandson did cave and the last night I was there, he allowed me to give him his bath and snuggle him dry in his hooded towel. Yay. Patience paid off for Grandma.

Before leaving, one evening my daughter and I went through our purchases, reliving them again. I took photos so I would be good to go on my quilting blog when I returned. I left mid-day on Wednesday November 8th on a flight that took me through Las Vegas.


The very next day after arriving home, I dove into my suitcase to revisit the fabric and goodies there. I had been very careful to pack few clothes and wear items multiple times so as to have room for fabric. This the suitcase of purchases from the show after I removed the clothes that had been wedged in and around the fabric. For a piece by piece photo journey check out DianeLoves2Quilt blog post for 11/9/17.


Two days after my return, Friday, November 10th, was Frank's birthday. We had a simple celebration at home with a store bought, but personalized, cake and candles.  Even Frank is not yet 75 and he is older than me!




I had no gifts for him to open but we were planning to go to a train show about two hours north of us, near Sacramento the coming Sunday where he could indulge his hobby as I has just done mine. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Dad! I am so glad you were able to come out to OKC as a bookend to our trip, because I know the kids had a blast seeing grandma, and Isaiah letting you give him a bath was like, the cutest thing in the history of cuteness, and in our house that's saying something :-) Autumn faithfully wears that Supergirl Hoodie every day these days (I am just grateful the weather has been warm enough for it) and Isaiah still loves that Spiderman, even though he has completed the transition to "carnage" at this point. Grandma sure knows what kids like, even if she is 75 ;-)

    ReplyDelete