Monday, October 30, 2017

Ponder Post: The Magnolia Story

Since I am a fan of the HGTV show Fixer Upper, I really enjoyed this book. I read it on the flight east to Chicago on September 25th and finished it one evening shortly after reaching my destination. Why do I tell you this? Because I delayed writing a review post about this book until I had posted about the Chicago trip itself, which took me a while. Consequently I am having a hard time remembering what was actually in the book - just that I liked it a lot. The majority of The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines is engaging, the beginning and the end are good, and the writing style flows readily. My only negative is that I do recall it as having a bit of a doldrums for a short section in the middle. My eyes glazed over a bit with a discussion of investment capital.


Most TV shows, at the least the ones I am willing to invest my time in watching,  engage on two levels. There is the immediate topic of the show – a crime to be solved, a medical condition to be conquered, a court case to be won – but then there is the continuing back story of personal lives of the characters – their sex/love life, their battle with addiction, their demons from a past trauma or childhood hardship. It is often the undercurrent of this back story that keeps me returning to the show each week, rather than the isolated episodic focus. This book is kind of that back story to the TV show Fixer Upper.

For the uninitiated, Fixer Upper is a home design and renovation show that features a husband/wife team who take old wrecks of houses and turns them into beautiful but comfortable and livable homes. It has run four seasons and this upcoming fifth season will be its last. Fixer Upper stars the married couple Chip and Joanna Gaines and occasionally cameos their four children. Chip Gaines is a laughable, impulsive, hardworking, builder/contractor whose antics have one believing he must have a dose of hyperactivity or has imbibed an overly generous dose of caffeine. Joanna Gaines appears to be the artistic designer half of the pair, a calming foil to Chip's ebullience. On the show they are portrayed as strongly devoted to each other and very family-oriented; I believe this image is genuine.


How can this couple have achieved such success and at a relatively young age, while being actively engaged in raising a family of four children? How can Joanna continue to look so good after birthing four children? (The book does not answer that question so I am left to assume good genes, although there is a brief reference to jogging.) This book does tell of their struggles, successes, and determination as it describes the ups and downs of their path to stardom - non-Hollywood style. It restores one's faith in there being people out there with good clean values. It was a comforting, satisfying read that, at least to me, seemed to exude honesty. Those unfamiliar with the show will not get much out of this book but fans of Fixer Upper will definitely give it two thumbs up. It has a five star rating on Amazon. I will probably give it a four star rating due only to its limited audience.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading this book now (thanks for giving it to me!) and should finish it within a few days. It is, like you said, very enjoyable. I really needed this book after finishing my last one - Blindness by José Saramago.

    ReplyDelete