Sunday, October 29, 2017

Chicago Days 7, 8: Lake Michigan, Then Home

Sunday, October 1st
We chose to keep activities to a minimum since we'd all be traveling home the next day. Looking at a map it was about a 1 mile walk to the shore of Lake Michigan so we thought we'd go and dip our hands in its waters as proof we'd been there. We'd be passing by the Chicago History Museum and some statuary at the southern end of Lincoln Park.


Just east of the Lincoln monument is this statue titled Fountain Girl. I found it amusing that we were not the only ones enjoying the water feature that day.


After continuing our stroll through the park we came to footbridge over North Lakeshore Drive leading to the shores of Lake Michigan.


We crossed to the other side and found ourselves exiting to a paved path along a sandy shoreline beach.


We read that this was Lakefront Trail. It runs 18 miles long.


I enjoyed the ambience, much like you would find on many beaches. There were bicycle and surrey rental facilities.


There were ice cream vendors.


But unlike many beaches I have visited, there was a backdrop of the Chicago skyline.


Sue and I ran up to the water and dipped our hands in.


Frank tried to do the same, but not very gracefully. He tried to scurry back quickly to avoid getting his shoes wet as the gentle waves surged forward. His heels dug in and he fell over backward, planting his butt firmly in the sand. We were too busy laughing to get any pictures.

We retraced our steps back to our home base. In doing so we passed an ice cream store. Frank and I opted for a treat then and there, The others were going to come back in the evening for their treat. Frank and I claimed once we were in, we'd be in for the night. We did bring back one container to share in case anybody wanted seconds later.


Jeni's Ice Creams is known for its huge selection of unique flavors. I had three half-scoops: one of vanilla, two of milkiest chocolate. I know – very bold of me. Frank had three half-scoops but he made selections that were a sort of fall sampler:  sweet potato with torched marshmallows, pumpkin 5-spice, and middle west whiskey and pecans.


I remember when I got in that afternoon I took a long nap. Three hours of sleep from the noisy Friday night had caught up with me. I also suspected Saturday could be more of the same partying. Thankfully, if it was, I got to sleep soon enough that it was not a bother at all. John & Sue and Joe & Margaret went out for ice cream. Frank and I chilled in place and did our packing for the next day's travel. The evening was idled away in a few games of Sequence, some reflections on the Chicago trip, some comparisons of where we'd stayed each time, and some discussion about where to go next year. It was a gentle way of unwinding from a whirlwind week of events: 

  • science, history, cultural, and art museums 
  • river and lake boat tours
  • dead dinosaurs (for some)
  • Wrigley field, parks, and downtown city walkabouts
  • views of Chicago from high up towers and shoreline vantage points 
  • the beach of Lake Michigan
  • feasting and snacking at historic Chicagoan establishments
  • even celebrating a 42nd wedding anniversary

Monday, October 2nd
It was time to fly home. Frank is standing here on the lookout for our Uber ride to Midway airport. John & Sue and Joe & Margaret would be heading out soon in their ride to O'Hare airport.


Frank and I flew back on Southwest with a connecting flight through St Louis, Missouri. We would be back home by early evening.


Lambert airport has bright red rockers there in addition to the row seating at the gates themselves. They cheer up the airport gate area with their bold color.


I have a big smile on my face. Why?

        a. Because I had a great time in Chicago
        b. Because I am going home
        c. Because I like this bright red rocker
        d. All of the above

No comments:

Post a Comment