Sunday, July 17, 2016

Carquinas Railroad Society - Third Floor

Frank, Alex, and I had visited an open house for the Carquinas Railroad Society in early May. Their two floor display of model trains in HO gauge was quite extensive. We'd enjoyed touring it and I'd blogged about it in my post of May 9, 2016. Frank learned that they were having an open house of their third floor layout, which had been closed to the public on our first visit. The third floor houses a toy train display in the larger O-gauge three rail with a sprinkling of other smaller gauges. Toy trains are entertaining because they are not a slave to the accuracy of scale but rather an eclectic vehicle for amusement. We are always on the lookout for Sunday outings with Alex that are an alternative to our ritual bowling and and so we took a repeat ride up to Crocket, CA on Sunday, June 26th. The extent of the layout was visible as soon as we exited the stairwell onto the third floor.


I was particularly impressed with the larger scale buildings, bridges, and arches.





This grocery store's sign proclaims it is under the ownership of Frank. I was not aware we had a side business in the food industry.


I think what I liked best about this excursion though, was the father/son camaraderie.




And you have to admit that Alex's owl shirt is pretty striking. Until now I never quite noticed the similarity between an owl sound Whoo and a train sound Whoo-Whoo.

 
Alex did though! It was a fun revelation during a low-key Sunday afternoon outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment