Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Great Gatsby

Last Friday night Frank and I went to one of the four annual dances of the Hayward Dance Club. The theme was The Great Gatsby.

This really was a larger than life spectacle of a movie.

I chose to wear a sparkly dress with a flirty hem and side frills since it would fit in with the dress code of the era. I love color and think I look better in brighter hues, but I deferred and wore black because it was a formal dance. A fluffy feather boa and a chunky ostentatious necklace completed the look. I posed and Frank took some photos before we left. Yes, I know I could lose some weight, but as well working on dropping the pounds, I am working on accepting myself the way I am.

When I saw the photos though, the thought that struck me was "In that black dress I look like Ursula, the Sea Witch, from The Little Mermaid. Observe the striking resemblance! Uncanny, isn't it?

"Never underestimate the importance of body language",
spoken by Ursula to Ariel when she was about to steal the little mermaid's voice.

Parallel postures, complete with black gown, crossed "legs", and large necklace at bosom.

Maybe it was because I had The Little Mermaid on my mind since we had just brought Alex up a replacement videotape. Maybe it was because I had selected Mahi-Mahi as my dinner menu selection. Whatever the reason, my brain made the association. I found these cartoon images after I saw the pictures so these parallel poses were not pre-planned. The sea witch images also reminded me of how I used to drive Robin and Dan crazy as kids by singing the chorus from Poor Unfortunate Souls to them when they complained. I'd croon dramatically in an anguished voice, "Poor unfortunate souls... in pain... in need...". You can hear the full song at this YouTube link.

We had a fun evening at the Great Gatsby dance. The table centerpieces were simple yet elegant, a martini glass draped with strings of pearls overflowing from the edges and an assortment of a few feathers, peacock and other, peeking out from the top. They really fit in well with the theme. I was waiting to blog about our night out until the formal pictures, taken as we entered the dance, were posted on line, but that has not happened yet. Maybe I will post an update when they are available.

The next morning, when I came downstairs at dawn's early light, I noticed where I had left my accessories and other paraphernalia strewn about the family room from the night before. I did not stage this photo but it sure looks like the morning after a night of debauchery.

And she left a trail...

Adding a few peacock feathers from the festivities can feed the imagination to create a tale that I 'll never tell.

Pearls, pumps, and peacock feathers.

Thinking back on Ursula from The Little Mermaid...  here is my favorite part of the lyrics found near the end of her featured song. Did I follow Ursula's advice?

The men up there don't like a lot of blabber.
They think a girl who gossips is a bore.
Yes, on land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word.
And after all, dear what is idle prattle for?

Come on they're not all that impressed with conversation.
True gentlemen avoid it when they can.
But they dote and swoon and fawn on a lady who's withdrawn.
It's she who holds her tongue that gets her man.

No comments:

Post a Comment