Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Ponder Post: Heroes Are My Weakness

Travel and reading go hand in hand. Last week in the airports, on the planes, and late at night I read the book Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I liked it and thought the author used a clever  method to convey thoughts and feelings. The main character Annie was a ventriloquist and the thoughts bouncing around in her head were told to the reader using the voices of her puppets having a conversation.


I will definitely seek out other books by this author.

The setting is on an island off the coast of Maine in a chilling winter with a brooding Heathcliff type hero, a gothic castle type mansion, a quaint small cottage, a mute child, and a permeating air of some long dark held secret. It is a romance mystery so there were sex scenes but I thought they neither added nor detracted from the plot. I generally get my suggestions as to what to read from quilt blogs. Several quilters I follow are avid readers as well. We often have similar tastes. After reading Heroes Are My Weakness, I checked out what Amazon readers thought and the reviews varied widely.


The Amazon reviews of this book spanned a wide spectrum.

The psychology and mystery of this book made it a good read that I would highly recommend. I was both bemused and hooked after the first chapter.

1 comment:

  1. I've only read one book by SEP (Dream A Little Dream, I think), and I'll admit I didn't care for it, but the puppets sound like an interesting twist on the narrative.

    ReplyDelete