Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ponder Post: O-W-L

This morning when I awoke and opened my eyes, I blearily saw one of Frank's shirts draped over his clothes horse at the side of the bed.  I read the letters OWL and puzzled,  "What shirt does Frank have with an owl on it?".

Does Frank even own a shirt with an owl on it?

Then I realized that the way the shirt was folded, I was only seeing part of the word. This was Frank's football shirt and I was focusing on the tail end of the phrase Super Bowl. That got me thinking. What other word could it have been? There is fowl and jowl and howl and yowl and even cowl. But they all rhyme? Why is bowl pronounced differently?

Fowl ... Jowl ... Howl or Yowl ... even Cowl

Then I understood. No one could get so excited over a game called the Super Bowel, no matter how you spelled it!

1 comment: