All the while I was reading You Did Nothing Wrong ©2026 by CG Drews I kept visualizing how this novel would make one terrifying horror movie. Descriptions were gross but the narrative was engrossing and I read the book in a day and a half in two sittings. I am not a fan of horror movies but I can tolerate horror books since I can skim over the too intense parts. The mystery in this book was strong and the characters complex and indecipherable. I had to finish the book to see how it all came out. The ending was not to my liking but I have to admit the final pages fit in with the genre of the book. Horror movies do not always end happily ever after.
The basic plot line is that the main character single mom Elodie with her six-year-old son Jude, who has autistic traits, move in to a Victorian house that Elodie's newly wed husband Bren is renovating. Bren loves Elodie deeply and truly; he exhibits love as well as patience for Jude. Elodie is obsessed with being a good mother, having come from parents where she was ignored, unloved, and unsupported.
The house itself appears to be a character in this drama... maybe. Both Elodie and Jude assert that the house talks to them and wants them out. Bren loves the craftsmanship and challenge to transform the house into the beauty it once was with elegant woodworking, wallpaper, furniture and lighting. A construction zone, however, is full of hazards for a young, difficult child. Compound that with an anthropomorphic house that hates them, or is perceived to hate them. Are the threats real or delusions of Jude or his mentally imbalanced mother?
What did other readers think of You Did Nothing Wrong? These are the ratings on Amazon and Goodreads. Less than one third of the Amazon readers thought it was great.
This is not a book to make you smile or feel good. This macabre tale is not my usual taste in literature or movies but I could not put it down. I deducted one star because it most certainly is not the taste of the majority. Portrayals of fears and suspicions, as well as depictions of ominous, dangerous settings
used foul, putrid, disgusting metaphors (blood, slime, pus, yuk!) were hard to plow through. I skimmed a lot these phrases under the rationale of, "Ok, ok. I get the idea". Due to intriguing characters, suspense, several climaxes, and plot twists — despite the abundance foul descriptions — I thought You Did Nothing Wrong was well written, if not at all pretty or soothing. Maybe consider it for a Halloween read?
★★★★☆ Really good; maybe only one weak aspect or limited audience


No comments:
Post a Comment