During Frank's and my recent trip to Sacramento, I did a quick read of The Standoff by Sandra Brown. My brief review of it was within my post of that trip. The Standoff was worth three stars. Repeated here is the review of The Standoff.
I read a decades old uncomplicated book ©2000 by Sandra Brown. It was fast action plot —a hold up in a gas station convenience store with one of the hostages being a pregnant young woman about to give birth. There were no parallel timelines to juggle and the characters were limited in number. I finished it in an afternoon. The Standoff got me out of my recent inexplicable reading slump.
★★★☆☆ Better than average; not a waste of time
Encouraged by a successful if not exactly stellar read, I took Smoke Screen ©2008 another of Sandra Brown's books, with me on a recent trip to Colorado to visit my son and his family. On the plane and at the airport I was a captive audience otherwise I might have abandoned the 500+ page novel. Twice a character is found in bed next to a naked dead person; he/she is equally naked and has no recall of what happened. The basic storyline is that there was a fire in a police station and there is suspicion it was set to cover up some secret. The naked bed scenarios are an attempt to snuff out anyone who might reveal the secret.
My criticisms of the book are:
- book was too long
- too many characters, many of them not well developed
- plot was too convoluted and took too long to evolve and resolve
- sex scenes were way too explicit
Once home from the trip I continued read to the end in order to learn the secret. The secret was not at all worth my effort to complete the book. It is kind of a shame because I often like this author's books. Smoke Screen was terrible and I gave it only 1 star.
★☆☆☆☆ Awful but I read most or maybe even all of it
No comments:
Post a Comment