Friday, September 6, 2024

Ponder: First Lie Wins

Early this year, I checked out First Lie Wins ©2024 by Ashley Elston from the library and did not get a chance to finish it before it was due. Since others were waiting and I was only about one-third through it, I returned it. Putting my name back on the waiting list, I had to wait months later for a second try. I needed to read the first third again, since it had been long enough from the first time that the intricacies had vanished from my memory. My persistence to read this book was definitely worth it. In fact, after completing it, I wanted to re-read passages from the book yet again, so I actually bought the kindle version to have an electronic search capability. That's how much I loved this book.


First Lie Wins was engaging, fast paced, with a southern setting and multi-sided characters to keep the reader's interest along the way. I was definitely drawn in by the characters who were not always "nice" but still very human and invested in each other—invested in either a good or bad way.  The relationship between Evie and Ryan is intricate from the banter between them to his fierce support of her. Evie is a very smooth, smart, strong, and resourceful woman. She inextricably entangles herself in Ryan's life. Evie's "boss" is a real piece of work whose communication techniques introduce another layer of mystique to First Lie Wins.  "Mr. Smith" conducts abbreviated phone conversations with Evie using an electronically distorted voice and leaves instructions in a manila envelope in a mailbox at a discretely revealed shipping store.

The novel does jump around between time periods, which usually mildly annoys me, but in First Lie Wins I found the writing technique fascinating. The different time periods reveal Evie's varied personas and aliases as she works on different "jobs" for "Mr. Smith", thus building depth to her character and subtly showing aspects of her moral character. Who really is each of pseudonym's that Evie uses and what light does each cast on the inner workings of Evie Porter's mind and heart?

I really grew to like Evie and Ryan, neither of whom are squeaky clean, and I do not want to feel guilty about having those sentiments. Robin Hood was technically a crook but was it for a good cause? Is there honor among thieves? To quote a favorite line of mine from First Lie Wins ... "we’re both honest about how shady we are".

First Lie Wins is the January 2024 selection for the Reese's Book Club. Reading First Lie Wins has restored my faith in using this club for my reading suggestions. The June 2024 pick The Unwedding I was mediocre per my post for 9/4/24.  The July 2024 pick The Cliffs was slow moving and deviated so far from its enticing description that I quit reading it.  First Lie Wins, however, was certainly a big winner and I will continue to consider Reese's Book Club as a prime source for my reading choices.

★★★★★ Great! Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment