Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Ponder: A Gentleman in Moscow

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles ©2016 – I absolutely loved this book. It is long. There are sections with political implications that I do not understand, nor attempt to. But neither the length nor the fickleness of Russian politics detracts from the wit, intelligence, manners, charisma, and kindness of Count Alexander Ilyich Rostov. 

In 1922, at the age of thirty-three, the Count is dealt a life sentence under house arrest at the Metropol, a grand luxury hotel across the street from the Kremlin. His crime is being an unrepentant aristocrat. He is forced to live in an attic room, a far cry from the luxurious suite to which he is accustomed under his standing of wealth and privilege. He must never to go outside the walls of the hotel under penalty of death. Quoted directly from the front flap of the book

Unexpectedly, the Count's reduced circumstances provide him entry to a much larger world of emotional discovery as he forges friendships with the hotel's other denizens, including a willful actress, a shrewd Kremlinite, a gregarious American and a temperamental chef. But when fate suddenly puts the life of a young girl in his hands, he must draw on all his ingenuity to protect the future she so deserves.

The language in this book is mesmerizing and the cast of characters is a joy. The Count performs feats of cleverness with unwavering tact; his polite exchanges a delight to observe. Count Rostov's interactions with a young girl are heartwarming, as he romps nooks and crannies of the grand hotel with her in exploration.

As an aside, I noticed each chapter begins with a letter A. I am unclear of the deeper intent behind the author's practice but I looked forward with amusement to each title heading and seeing how it fits with the subsequent text.

  • Book 1 begins in 1922 with An Ambassador, An Anglican Ashore, An Appointment, An Acquaintanceship, Anyway... , Around and About, An Assembly, Archeologies, and Advent.
  • Book 2 continues in 1923 with the first chapter reading An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary

What is the plot? When one relates a biography, is there a plot? This is a story of a man who, with the utmost  dignity, compassion, affection, loyalty, and bravery deals with the adult life he has been dealt. It is an uplifting story of making lemonade out of the lemons one has been handed, deserving of a five star rating. This summary may be vague but I have intentionally avoided divulging any spoilers so readers can discover and enjoy the novel for themselves. If you must know more, I warn that the five star reviews and plot summaries on Amazon are very lengthy and reveal too many of the unanticipated anecdotes. A Gentleman in Moscow is most definitely worth the read. It was recommended to me by two friends and they were spot on. A Gentleman in Moscow was superb.

★★★★★ Great! Read it!

3 comments:

  1. The author has written a couple of other books that have memorable characters and make interesting points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed. I plan to put them on my list at the library.

      Delete
  2. This book is on my reading list, too. Earlier this year, I read "Rules of Civility" by Towles and I enjoyed it. My Book Club Read "A Gentleman in Moscow" several years ago, and I started it, but did not get very far (very unlike me). They liked it so much, though, that it still frequently comes up in conversation - I really do need to read it!

    ReplyDelete