Thursday, April 21, 2022

Ponder: The Memory Quilt

Looking at my posts this far in 2022 I was a little bit bummed to realize I had only read three books thus far, and one of them I read in 2021 and just posted in 2022.  My goal is to read twenty-four books in a year, so by mid April I should have read at least seven. Then I realized there were several books I did read but never blogged. One was The Memory Quilt ©2009 by T.D  Jakes. It was unmemorable. The quilt part played a minor role and the Christmas reference was also secondary. I have no idea how this book made its way to the reading shelves next to the toilet, an appropriate location for it. It most likely came from a grocery store bargain bin. My husband could have also picked it up for me, lured into purchase by aiming to please my fondness for quilts and Christmas.


What did I dislike?

  1. It was printed with blue text on parchment colored pages. Maybe it was supposed to set a mood but it is hard on the eyes to read.
  2. It was meant to have a spiritual overtone but it came across as childishly preachy; it was neither deep nor introspective.
  3. Its setting was in a black crime-ridden neighborhood, clearly not the Christmas season ambience I was anticipating.
  4. The main character is very judgmental. The book is about her becoming more charitable but until she does, the book is unpleasant.
  5. The completed quilt is a disappointment.
  6. After reading, I learned the author is a well-known preacher who is regularly featured on the Dr. Phil show and lives in a 14,000 square foot mansion. Both of these facts turned me off.
I felt pretty biased and prejudicial when I read re-read what I wrote for #6 above. To be fair I give you his web site to judge for yourself if you want. www.tdjakes.com A few of his one minute videos do provoke some thought... unlike his book The Memory Quilt

Skip this book. I have not yet decided whether to donate it to the library or place it in the recycling bin. At least I can count it toward one of my 24 books in 2022.

★☆☆☆☆ Awful but I read most or maybe even all of it

1 comment:

  1. My goal in 2022 is to read 25 books and so far I've read 7, so I might be slightly behind. I have one to hand off to you when you come down here.

    ReplyDelete