Saturday, January 29, 2022

Ponder: While You Were Sleeping

Disappointing. Slow-moving. I did not like any of the characters in While You Were Sleeping ©2016 by Kathryn Croft. I was a captive audience on a plane flight otherwise, I would have given up on this book. It was advertised as "a gripping psychological thriller" by a #1 best-selling author with a 4.3 out of 5 rating by 53% of Amazon readers and "a twist that will take you by surprise". It opens with a woman waking up naked beside the dead body of her neighbor who had been stabbed in the chest. She has no recollection of how she got there. There were so many red herrings thrown about that I was dubious if the author could resolve them all. She couldn't. The ending was ridiculous, from out of the blue, with minimal reasoning and motivation for the murderer. I begrudgingly give this book 1 star because I did finish it.


★☆☆☆☆ Awful but I read most or maybe even all of it

One of my "most, most, favoritest" movies is one with Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman coincidentally titled While You Were Sleeping with no similarities or connection whatsoever to the book. I love, love, loved the movie as much as I hate, hate, hated the book. Comparing the two is indeed like comparing apples and oranges. But those apples were really rotten! Too bad this is my first book review of 2022. Reading is bound to get better. I held off publishing this review so the upbeat posts about our trip to OKC came first in 2022.
 

1 comment:

  1. You've read a couple of duds lately - boo. Here are some recent books that I've read that I think you'd like: The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate, The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd (very good), Trevor Noah: Born a Crime (really interesting), The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (did you read this yet?). I'm reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles right now and really enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete