Thursday, October 7, 2021

Ponder: Witch Please

The title Witch Please ©2021 by Ann Aguirre caught my attention as a cute romantic read for the month of October. I had never read anything by this author but learned she is a New York Times best selling author and per Wikipedia:

Ann Aguirre is an American author of speculative fiction. She writes urban fantasy, romantic science fiction, apocalyptic paranormal romance, paranormal romantic suspense, and post-apocalyptic dystopian young adult fiction.


The premise of the plot was amusing so I checked Witch Please out of the library. Danica and her cousin Clementine are two witches who run the Fix-It Witches shop; its logo is two witches on broomsticks, both wearing tool belts. They use their magic for repairs. Down six blocks is the bakery, Sugar Daddy's, run by a very handsome man named Titus.  (Yes, the shop names in the book are clever.) Titus is a mundane, a human without magical talents and thus the equivalent of a mortal in the old TV series Bewitched or a muggle from the Harry Potter series. Danica and Titus develop an attraction for each other. This love interest is thwarted by Danica's Grandmother – who is very prejudiced against mundane's – yet supported by Danica's coven, which is her group of magical female friends. The back cover lured me in, as I anticipated reading a quirky love story, spiked with mischievous witchy overtones.

With a flirty, innocuous front cover image and an innocent-sounding back cover description, I was curious. Expecting a light-hearted romance as in a typical Hallmark movie that rolls the credits once the happy couple kisses, I was a bit taken aback. This book was not as I was led to believe. Sex scenes with Danica and Titus were quite explicit. References to side bar romances of other characters included same-gender trysts; supposedly Titus had a bi-sexual exploratory past. These variations did not add to the plot unless they are possibly presented as anti-prejudicial examples to contrast against Grandma's snooty bias against mundanes. I also felt the core conflicts were never resolved. This is the first book in the Fix-It Witch series. The second is Boss Witch due out in 2022. I will definitely skip it. I also think this best selling author will be selling her books to someone other than me, intriguing as her Wikipedia description sounded.

★★☆☆☆ Ok, not great; some redeeming features; I finished it

No comments:

Post a Comment