Friday, October 18, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

It has been over three weeks since my last post to Wander or Ponder but I have been very busy. We are doing some remodeling sandwiched in between traveling. Today is Friday, October 18th and Frank and I just got back late Tuesday night from traveling to Boston and Oklahoma City from October 4th through October 15th.

  • Mon Sep 23rd-Thu Oct 3rd   electrical, plaster, and audio visual contractors
  • Fri Oct 4th                             fly to Boston
  • Sat Oct 5th                            attend McCormick Hall 50th anniversary celebration
  • Sun Oct 6th-Tues Oct 8th     tour in Boston area with Dan and Carrie
  • Wed Oct 9th                          fly to Oklahoma City
  • Thu Oct 10-Fri Oct 11th       visit with Jeremy, Robin, Autumn and Oxenfords
  • Sat Oct 12th                          prep for and attend Autumn's 1st birthday party
  • Sun Oct 13th-Tue Oct 14th   visit and celebrate Robin's birthday
  • Tue Oct 15th                          fly back to SFO
  • Wed Oct 16th                        recommence remodeling work

Bright and early Wednesday morning, the day after our return, we had a plasterer filling in two 4" diameter holes in our dining room ceiling that were put in by the electrician about 10 inches away from where they were supposed to be to hang two fixtures centered over the long table. As I write this I am crowded between stacks of furniture and dishes that are being covered with dust, as I listen to pounding, sanding, dropping lumber, Mexican music, a shop vac, a compressor, and general cacophony. We are having hardwood floors installed in our living/dining room, hall and powder room downstairs.

The family room now houses the large dining room table, laden with all the dishes and glassware
we had to remove from the hutch. All sorts of other "stuff" is stacked here as well.
There is one small trail from the garage to the kitchen through it all.

Wall to wall carpet was pulled up and we removed a half height wall to the far lower right of the photo.
Hardwood is being installed in the living room and dining room.

I just felt something sticky on my hand and looked down in my lap to see a huge blob that must have fallen from a PB&J sandwich I just was eating. Luckily the blob targeted my lap and not the computer keyboard. Frank just left for Orchard Supply Hardware to purchase felt foot pads for the furniture legs and, as a bonus, to breathe in some non-dust-laden peace and quiet.

It is difficult to think straight. It is also difficult to stand straight. After five take-offs and landings in ten days, I developed a mild case of positional vertigo where if I turn my head too quickly in certain ways I get dizzy due to an inner ear issue. My doctor told me to see her next week and in the interim I have an OTC med to alleviate the symptoms. I think the meds have tough competition to win out over the remodeling noises. I also learned from Wikipedia that positional vertigo is exacerbated by change in barometric presser, lack of sleep, and stress. Hey! Great news! I am three for three!

Ah, yes. I am bemused rather than depressed by all this. Pacing myself is a skill yet to be learned in this stage of my life. Retirement is not what I expected and it certainly is not for the faint of heart. Those of you out there who are still working, do not be too envious.

To write this post, I took a break from downloading pictures from the camera our two cell phones and figuring out how to upload them to Dropbox. As I succeed and organize the pictures from our recent trip, I will have more posts about the great times we had in Boston and Oklahoma City. And we did have loads of fun.  We just now need to recover from and reflect on all that revelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment