Spectacular Things ©2025 by Beck Dorey-Stein is one of the Reese Witherspoon selections and I usually enjoy her picks but not this one. This novel was drawn out. I did plod on and read the entire book only because the first chapter was captivating and posed a very interesting premise.
Two sisters, Mia was always a giver, and the other sister, Cricket, was always an acceptor have. Note, I called Cricket an acceptor not a taker. Both sisters care deeply for each other and sustain a very close relationship. The opening conflict is that Mia needs a kidney and Cricket is a good match. Is Cricket capable of assuming the role of giver? The scene then flashes back to their childhood years and continues chronologically. The reader needs to wait until the final pages of the book to learn the resolution.
PROS:- The characters are well developed but this does not mean I like them.
- The characters' actions are decided for good and not out of revenge or evilness or selfishness. I found some of the decisions unwise but this lent interest to the plot.
- A great deal of the setting was in Maine so the weather challenges added depth to the story.
- There is a shocking occurrence about a third of the way into the book.
- Soccer is the all time, all day, all consuming focus. My eyes glazed over with all the emphasis on training and physical discipline to be the best.
- Not all relationships in the novel are heterosexual. I am not a homophobe, but this type of interaction is beyond my ability to empathize. Introduced late in the novel, it does nothing to advance the plot.
- The overall pace was slow and soccer seemed to assume the role of a Johnny-one-note.
No comments:
Post a Comment