Sunday, October 6, 2024

Ponder: Counting Miracles

Counting Miracles ©2024 by Nicholas Sparks is a slow moving and emotionally non-moving novel that was a disappointment. The storyline follows three main character groups: a female divorced doctor and her two children, an 83-year-old severely scarred man who lives alone in his cabin with only his dog, and a lone-wolf type man with a military background and varied history of deployments. How these three groups are inter-related seems forced. The romantic aspects typical of Sparks' books were minimal. A redeeming plus, however, was the bantering good-natured relationship between a teenage girl and her younger brother.

As in baseball and the legal system, "three strikes and you're out". Counting Miracles contained

    • detailed terminology and descriptions about hunting
    • lengthy lists about military deployments
    • many, many quotes from the bible
Normally I am a Nicholas Sparks fan - or at least I thought I was, having read all his novels. Counting Miracles is his 25th book. I checked back in my records and I rated his books 19, 20, and 21 three stars and books 22, 23, and 24 two stars. I need to reassess my loyalty to this author. Either my tastes have changed or his writing has.

19. ★★★☆☆ See Me ©2015
20. ★★★☆☆ Two by Two ©2016
21. ★★★☆☆ Every Breath ©2019
22. ★★☆☆☆ The Return ©2020
23. ★★☆☆☆ The Wish ©2021
24. ★★☆☆☆ Dreamland ©2022

Oh, and the title is kind of hokey. Do not waste your valuable reading time on Counting Miracles. I rated it

 ★★☆☆☆ Ok, not great; some redeeming features; I finished it

No comments:

Post a Comment