Saturday, July 15, 2023

Alameda County Fair 2023

The Alameda County Fair in 2023 ran Saturday, June17th – Sunday, July 9th. Frank and I went with Alex on the first Sunday, June 18th which was Father's Day. The weather was spectacular — bright and sunny with temperatures in the low 70's accompanied by a slight breeze.

I had entered two quilts for display. For each quilt and its $2 entry fee, I was given a free fair ticket. We had to buy only one ticket for the fair. The two I entered were X Marks the Spot and Quilt by Number. I won no ribbons this year, but I was pleased to have them displayed. They were hung suspended from the ceiling. It was when I went to pick them up Tuesday July 18th after the closure of the Alameda County Fair that I remembered I had not blogged about our visit there this year.




A fair would not be complete unless Alex visited the rabbits in the livestock section. This year the bunnies were in a different building and yay, this year that building was air conditioned. It was much more comfortable hanging out in the cool while Alex investigated EVERY! SINGLE! BUNNY!





The educational posters were informative. I never knew that domestic rabbits and wild rabbits cannot cross breed. Also, my two Oklahoma grandkids are campaigning for a guinea pig. I warned their mom that guinea pigs are social creatures and it is advisable to get more than one, per item #4 on poster.



I generally like to look at the decor of the different exhibits. My SoCal grandson is very much into construction and so would have enjoyed this place setting.


I never did understand how a display of the jars and bottles that contained the preserved edibles was of any use since nothing could be tasted. This year I liked the hanging boards of stenciled utensils hung behind the food items display. At least the artsy creation gave me something to visually enjoy.


We did not arrive at the bleachers early enough to get a seat for the pig races, but we had a good standing location at the end of the straightaway just before the finish line. It was fun seeing them hightail it down the home stretch, leaping a hurdle on the way.

We of course visited the model railroad exhibit and then made sure to have our classic fair treat of lemonade and funnel cakes.  It had been a low-key, fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment