Saturday, June 17, 2023

Ponder: Gods and Monsters

Dreams of Gods and Monsters ©2014 by Laini Taylor is the third book in a trilogy whose target demographic audience is young adults. The first two books in the series were reviewed in my blog post for 5/31/2023 and given four stars each. As in the first two books, Dreams of Gods and Monsters is a fantasy novel packed full with visually imaginative creatures — angels, seraphs, chimaera, humans  — but also introduces different universes. So many new mind-bending concepts were introduced that my head was spinning from all the implications. There were veils between universes, telekinesis, wishes from stolen "coins", multiple betrayals, an introduction of scientific forensics, and luxuriating in lavish penthouse accommodations contrasted with roughing it in a dusty hot kasbah.  


As a stand-alone novel, I rated Dreams of Gods and Monsters two stars. One or more of the following reasons sparked that relatively low rating

a)  this paperback book at 600+ pages, almost two inches thick, was too long
b)  there were too many leaps of imagination to resolve conflicts
c)  mental fatigue set in from having read several books in a row by this author

★★☆☆☆ Ok, not great; some redeeming features; I finished it

After having read the first two in the series back to back, (each rated four stars) I actually bought the cheapest used version I could of the third novel from Amazon. The wait time for Dreams of Gods and Monsters at the library was lengthy enough that I was afraid if I delayed too long, or interspersed reading a different book, I would forget the characters and intricacies of the plot. 

As the third book in the trilogy, I would upgrade Dreams of Gods and Monsters to three stars since it did resolve, not all, but the majority of the issues of the first two in the series, Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight. Do not read this book without the benefit of having read the first two. Do not start this trilogy unless you are willing to make the commitment to read all three. Dreams of Gods and Monsters had a happy ending, thanks goodness for that! After having investing time in reading this lengthy trilogy, I would have been majorly annoyed had love not triumphed. 

Reading the fantasy genre is a good diversion to keep me on my toes while introducing a variety of fun into my free time. I enjoyed submersing myself in "Daughter...", "Days...", and "Dreams..." for a week and a half. For you fantasy fans out there, it will not disappoint. With the benefit of the groundwork laid by the previous two books, I rate Dreams of Gods and Monsters

★★★☆☆ Better than average; not a waste of time

No comments:

Post a Comment