Thursday, January 19, 2023

Ponder: Noel Diary

My husband and I watched a Christmas movie that we thoroughly enjoyed, most likely because it was not as saccharin as the Hallmark movies we tend to binge on during the season. It was heartwarming, showing triumph over a difficult situation, and not easily predictable. When the credits rolled I learned that the movie was based on a book of the same title, The Noel Diary by Richard Paul Evans ©2017, so I put my name on the library waiting list and checked it out after Christmas when it became available.


Early on in the story, a best selling novelist Jacob Churcher, receives a phone call from a lawyer, breaking the news of the death of his estranged mother. He had struggled through a troubled childhood and had distanced himself from his parents for twenty-plus years so he was surprised he had been bequeathed his childhood home in the will. Although highly successful in his career he could have easily paid a service to clean out the house and put it up for sale, but he elected to do the job himself. It was a physically draining and emotionally difficult undertaking since his mom had become a hoarder and memories that were unearthed were hard to bear. 

Jacob is a quiet, likable loner, somewhat isolated in his young school years; yet he can do well as an adult in social situations. He gets along amicably with people at his book signings. His literary agent likes him and works hard looking out for him. The lawyer encourages him and supports him him carrying his hard task. A neighbor who remembers him child portrays him as a sweet child despite dire circumstances from the past. A mysterious young woman who is somehow connected to him through the house had a similar lacking mother/child relationship. She steps in him to help him sort through the detritus of things and remembrances.  As is my habit, my book description is intentionally vague to avoid revealing any spoilers. I need not be so concerned. I read the book after seeing the movie and was still eager to read on.

I did not realize that Richard Paul Evans is such a prolific, prominent author. A brief bio from the back flap of The Noel Diary lists his many awards and touts his publication of over thirty novels.


I also learned that The Noel Diary is #1 in a four book series called The Noel Collection. I very well may seek out the others. I rate The Noel Diary four stars. It was a simple, pleasurable read, possibly not for those readers wanting more meat and depth, but it certainly appealed to me.

★★★★☆ Really good; maybe only one weak aspect or limited audience


1 comment:

  1. I'll admit I was craving a good Christmas book last year and never found one... maybe I will try this one (or one of its series mates!) next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete