Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Ponder: Drunk on Love

I have read half a dozen romance novels by Jasmine Guillory, a relatively recent NewYork Times best selling author. Most of these books have settings in the Los Angeles or Oakland area of California, with characters who are young professionals and interconnected to each other. (See 8/30/22 Romance novels 1-3  and 9/12/22 Romance novels 4-6 .) Jasmine Guillory's seventh book Drunk on Love ©2022 still takes place in California, but in the Napa wine country. There is no association with characters from the first six books and I found that absence a bit disappointing. I tend to like series where there is familiarity and continuity among family or friends. 


New characters Margot and her brother inherited a working winery from their uncle. After a hot first time encounter with new casual acquaintance, Luke, Margo discovers the following morning that her brother has hired Luke to work in the tasting room. Margot and Luke's attraction to each other makes the situation at their mutual place of employment awkward. The love making in this book is more explicit than in the earlier novels. The verbal banter is amusing but less in quantity than in the earlier books. That physical versus mental balance makes this book less appealing to me rather than more so; consequently, I dropped my rating by one star to two stars. The winery details lent some interest, but not in enough detail to make the setting worthwhile. I think I will hold off on Jasmine Guillory's future books for a while. I may be saturated or she may be morphing her style to something less attractive to me.

★★☆☆☆ Ok, not great; some redeeming features; I finished it

No comments:

Post a Comment