Thursday, April 14, 2022

Ponder: The Night of Many Endings

The novel The Night of Many Endings  ©2021 by Melissa Payne is character-centric rather than plot-centric. There were spurts of action but not a great deal. I kept turning pages because I cared about the people and not so much about what would happen next. I got a slow start with this book and almost abandoned it after four chapters in. I had placed a special request for it – why I do not remember. It was transferred in on loan from another library a couple hours away so I felt obligated to stick with it. I am glad I did. Once engaged, I stayed up until 3:00 am one night to finish it.

The story centers around a librarian Nora, a security guard Vlado, an elderly woman Marlene, a teenage girl Jasmine, and a homeless drug addict Lewis. These five people find themselves hunkered down in the library during a fierce snow storm. Defensive walls of privacy begin to crack open as each person sees the others in another light beyond their stereotypical assumptions. Huddled together in cold, dark, isolation, they open up to share their personal experiences and begin to understand each other. More character details can be learned from the back cover, summarized more succinctly than any of my attempts.


Titled The Night of Many Endings, it is the endings that occur after release from that night in the library, that are surprising, enlightening, and heartwarming. I did enjoy this book, (once I eventually managed to get started), but it was not one of my favorites. I rate it three stars.

★★★☆☆ Better than average; not a waste of time

Out of curiosity I checked Amazon ratings. The lower ratings, 3 and under, were by people who had a slow start in the book and then quit before it got better. There are lots of good books out there. I am not so sure of the wisdom of sticking with those that require so much effort to become engaged. Nevertheless, I stand my my three star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment