Sunday, December 5, 2021

Happy Birthday Frank

Frank's 73rd birthday was Wednesday, November 10th. Yes, I am a bit slow in blogging about it, but we all slow down a bit at this age and I was behind writing posts about a SoCal visit,  part 1 dated 11/16/21 and part 2 dated 12/2/21.


I had planned to make Frank pumpkin pie, his favorite, but my online order with Raley's for the Pillsbury rollout pie crusts had been unavailable, and therefore it had been omitted from my order pickup on the 9th. The morning of his birthday I decided to brave an in-person visit into Safeway itself to see if they had them. I asked several clerks where they might be and got a deer in the headlights look. I thought I'd better go with Plan B and get a cake from the bakery instead. This bright orange one with the sunflowers caught my eye; it was ⅛ of a sheet cake and I had the baker write on it for Frank. It turned out those sunflowers were pure sugar and edible – somewhat. But the cakes was delicious. I also got him a bouquet of roses and a present.


Throughout the day our kids Robin and Dan called, grandkids sang to him, and our friend Vickie dropped by with a card and lemon meringue pie. Frank and I had a hot date that night going out for dinner at Livermore's IHOP. The local pancake house has been surprisingly empty during the pandemic and so we were willing to eat indoors. Once back home I sang Happy Birthday to him (Again. I had sung earlier to him upon arising.) I lit the candles, he blew them out, and we ate cake in a mini-celebration just the two of us.



He wondered what was in the box. After some jiggling and guessing he opened it. Our local Orchard Supply Hardware may have gone away but our Livermore Home Depot store is still active.




A couple days after his birthday we had our friends John and Marita over for a board game session. We did a repeat of the whole singing, light-and-blow-out the candles ritual, and ate some more of the cake.
 

It was a fun birthday and heartwarming to know how many thoughtful people remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment