Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Ponder: The Last Thing He Told Me

How much do you really know about your spouse? As much as you think you know? There have been documented cases where a man simultaneously has two separate wives with two separate sets of children, each wife believing he travels a lot for his job. The two families meet each other at the reading of the will upon his death. 

In the Last Thing He Told Me ©2021 by Laura Dave, Hannah is newly married to Owen and has moved in with him and his 16 year old daughter, Bailey, who lost her mother at a young age. The stepmother/stepdaughter relationship is awkward but civil. Owen is a high powered software coder. Hannah is an artistic wood turner who commissions custom costly furniture pieces for wealthy clients. They live in harmony, except for the occasional typical teenage mini-drama, on a houseboat in Sausalito. 

Then Owen disappears. All he leaves for Hannah is a short note saying "Protect her." Bailey has a slightly longer letter left in her school locker, along with something else. There are no clues about Owen's whereabouts or timetable for his return.

The Last Thing He Told Me ©2021 by Laura Dave was excellent, suspenseful, riveting, filled with action, satiated with confusing emotions. It has been a long time since I was willing to rate a book I've read five  stars, but this one truly merits it. I will refrain from writing more in this post to minimize the risk of divulging spoilers. The final paragraph of the jacket flap says it best.

With its breakneck pacing, dizzying plot twists, and evocative family drama, The Last Thing He Told Me is a riveting mystery, certain to shock you with its final, heartbreaking turn.

I was #15 on the list of 29 people waiting for this book on my libraries wait list. When I saw it on the book table at Costco for $15.99 (roughly half Amazon's price) I caved and bought it. I am glad I did. I read it the very next day. It is well worth my rating of five stars. I even jumped ahead in my queue of posts to be written, in order to publish this review sooner.

★★★★★ Great! Read it!

4 comments:

  1. I have no idea why any man would want two spouses and two sets of kids! I may not know everything about Dan, but I know that he would definitely agree with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to be a spoiler, but this book is about much more than dual families... very unexpected!

      Delete
    2. I did actually add this one to my reading list. Who know when I’ll get to it, but someday I’ll read it!

      Delete
  2. I just finished this book. I rated it 4 stars. It was definitely riveting!

    ReplyDelete