Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Ponder: A Trick of the Light

 A Trick of the Light © 2011 gives a fly on the wall view of the art world. The murder mystery by Louise Penny indeed portrays the emotional side of the art world – "does that stir you?" or "what feelings does it evoke?" But moreover, it also paints a picture of the competitive business side of the art world  – money grubbing, political maneuvering, back-stabbing, social posturing – where it is more important to make a buck than to make a statement. The insight I gained kept my interest once again with this, the seventh book I have read of Louise Penny's as she leads the reader through the sleuthing of Chief Inspector Armande Gamache.

The story takes place in two locations: first, the Musée d'Art Contemporain in Montréal, and second, the familiar quaint Québec village of Three Pines. Clara Morrow, a feature character in the Louise Penny novels is nervously having her first official private showing of her works, a coming out of sorts into the art community. At the vernissage, a cocktail-style party to launch Clara's first solo show, there was a variety of guests, from the straightforward villagers of Three Pines – Clara's husband and closest friends, to the highly polished socialites of the wealthy art community – art dealers and gallery owners, to the struggling poor artists – wannabe's valiantly striving to become famous. The stage is being set with suspects for a murder that has yet to happen in a location yet to be revealed.

The novel is sprinkled with bits of jealousy between husband and spouse and among "fellow" artists. Greed abounds as there is competition to sign on a lucrative artist, creating yet another motive for murder. But then again, is there revenge lurking as well for past slights? One aspect of Penny's work that I enjoy is that I rarely do guess "whodunnit" until the very last pages even though she provides an abundance of clues and motives.

The victim is discovered, the very night of Clara' vernissage, spoiling her night of recognition after lifelong efforts. To add insult to injury, the victim is found "among the bleeding hearts and lilacs" in Clara Morrow's very own garden, neck snapped. Along side/ underneath the body is found a coin with the image of a camel on it, the words of the serenity prayer on the reverse side.

God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can, and
The wisdom to know the difference


As the clues begin to amass, the reader is still simultaneously treated to tidbits of the inner turmoils of the private lives of Chief Inspector Armande Gamache's family and co-workers, all characters in which I maintain a vested interest. These back stories and continual growth of these individuals keep me wanting to launch into the next novel she has written. I am lucky that novels #8 and #9 just became available off my wait list at the library. I will stop blogging and begin reading!

But first a final detail: I rate A Trick of the Light five stars, a rating I have bestowed on four of the first seven of her books I have read: Still Life (4 s), A Fatal Grace (3 s), The Cruelest Month (5 s), A Rule Against Murder (5 s),  The Brutal Telling (5 s),  Bury Your Dead (4 s). In my rating system this rating translates to     Great! Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment