Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Halloween Decor

 A couple days ago Frank helped me get some fall decorations from our attic. This decor should put us in the Halloween spirit. First the living room hearth is outfitted with stuffed jack o' lanterns and pumpkins of different textures – velvet, painted wood, and woven straw. Glass bottles of varying heights hold shoots of straw bedecked with candy corn and mini-pumpkins. OK... that is not a black cat. It is a black dog. But pretend it is a black cat. I did not have the heart to disturb Snoopy for the photo.


To the left of the fireplace are two vases of gourds on a pumpkin placemat. They used to be inside my glass candleholders but I decided to change it up this year and give them a display of their own.


Continuing to circle on around toward the dining room, I have placed two quilts on the rungs of a rack.

 

Next I put placemats on the dining room table from a fabric pattern called Raven's Claw. When I googled it to buy more, I inadvertently left out the "s" and combined the two words. What did get? Ravenclaw! Ravenclaw is one of the four Houses of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, also appropriate for Halloween. (To jog your memory, Harry Potter is in Gryffindor.) Inside the glass candleholders are white and black lettered ceramic eggs. They spoke spooky Halloween to me as if they might spell out a magic incantation like the letters on a Ouija Board.


The far end of the kitchen table has a ceramic pumpkin, a metal pumpkin and candles to promote the seasonal ambience at mealtimes and game times.


Not to leave out the family room I spread this quilt on our blue leather chair and a half. It is where I will  curl up to read my current book, author Louise Penny's fourth novel, A Rule Against Murder. A murder mystery fits in well with the mood of those grinning Jack O' Lanterns set against a background of swirly spider webs and surrounded by a border of haunted houses and skeletons.


There will be no Trick or Treaters or handing out of candy this coronavirus year. Guess we will just have to eat all that candy ourselves. Shhh... I am ignoring the obvious – to refrain from buying it in the first place. Some traditions are too strong to resist. Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment