Friday, February 7, 2020

Ponder: Sold on Monday

Along with the shocking title, the illustrations on the front and back covers fueled my desire to read Sold on Monday ©2018 by Kristina McMorris. I read it with relish and highly recommend it to others.


Ellis Reed is a rookie newspaper columnist relegated to writing fluff articles for the society column. He takes photos as part of his assignment, but to allay his boredom he periodically takes drives in the country, idly taking photos of nature and other items more interesting than the society events he covers. He comes across two young boys sitting on a porch of a rundown home near the following hand painted sign.


The novel's story starts with that photo and speeds on, unfolding a whole slew of unexpected turns of events. The newsroom's secretary, Lily Palmer, plays a key role in what follows. What is expected of her as a women in the workplace – and what she is believed incapable of – is fitting for the era of the 1930's time setting. For the newsroom editor I pictured the gruff Lou Grant from the Mary Tyler Moore Show


The plot is not predictable in the least. The characters are multifaceted. Relationships between Ellis and his parents and Lily and her parents are complicated, enigmatic, but steeped in love. There are few stereotypes, but those that there are, serve the purpose of setting a tone that gives credence to the reactions of the main characters and their thought processes. Yes, I realize I am being vague in this review, but there are so many unexpected, yet logical occurrences that I do not want to ruin the read for anyone who picks up this book. That goes for the author's note at the very end, also. It contains spoilers.

Ellis and Lily often act out of fear – fear of losing their jobs, or their reputation, or even their lives – but forge on because of what they believe to be morally right. Being afraid is not a weakness. I kept recalling the quote from the 2000 movie Bounce with Ben Affleck and Gwyneth Paltrow.
It's not brave if you're not scared.
I rate this novel 5 stars. There was a brief interlude in a few early chapters where I was losing confidence in the main character Ellis and I was disappointed with some of Lily's choices, but I pushed on. Nothing is black and white, and the gray shadows within gave the book depth. I am really glad I persevered to complete the tale. Kristina McMorris's Sold on Monday was great! Read it! Also, read the author's note after you've finished the book.

3 comments:

  1. I'll add this to one to my (ever-growing) reading list! Right now, I'm finally reading Me Before You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get this from the library, but didn't read it in time before it was due. Ack! It's back on my "hold" list so that I can (hopefully) read it in 2021.

      Delete
    2. I finally read this book! I gave it three stars. It wasn't a total waste of my time, but I wasn't as enamored with it as other books I've read recently. Some books I don't want to end; other books, like this one, seem to drag on and I just want to finish them so that I can move on to the next book. This book seemed to take me way too long to read!

      Delete