Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Pleasanton Play Date

My husband Frank and I are making an effort to at least one day a week go on a low-key local outing just for fun. Last week on Thursday, September 5th we went to the neighboring town of Pleasanton to see an exhibit in the Harrington Gallery in their Firehouse Theatre. We strolled through the collection of paintings and sculptures for a little over an hour. Groups of artwork reminded me of different family members: Rabbits for Alex, My Little Ponies for Robin, Vegas and Monopoly for Dan, Monopoly pieces for Frank, and a bit of quilted sculptures for me.


ALEX:
Bunnies made me think of Alex. He would have liked finding the bunny or bunnies in each of the  following five acrylic paintings on canvas by Carolyn Crampton.

Tech with George

Guitar, Roses, Rabbits

 Toys and Snoopa

 Teddy Bears, Sofa, and Rabbit

 Toy Horses with George Washington

DAN:
These oil paintings on canvas are by Hugo Kobayashi. The first one reminds me of my son's enjoyment of gambling a bit in Las Vegas. The second one recalls his love of Monopoly and the hard-fought five-hour monopoly game until 2:00 am between him and his dad on Dan's 35th birthday. See post dated 4/30/18.

Leaving Las Vegas

In the Red


FRANK:
Frank loves monopoly too and this series of oil on canvas by the same artist, Hugo Kobayashi, on the playing pieces was very striking. The tall black glossy images grabbed our attention and the artist did a great job of depicted the highlights and light reflecting characteristics of metal. The set of six were alined on one wall and wrapped round the adjacent corner. The lighting in the dark night sky transitioning down to the illuminated house and trailer were intriguing. Frank and I looked closely trying to discern perhaps if the bottom portion of the artwork, which includes the home, was a photograph but, no, it did not appear to be. We think it was highly talented technical painting. When we looked closely we also noted  that each house is different.

Weekend,  My Other Car,   Best Friend,   Land of Opportunity,   Top Hat,      Do Watcha' Wanna Do, Be Watcha' Wanna Be


I think my favorite was the fourth from the left although the title left me bewildered. It is hardly a huge opportunity dig ditches or iron cloths as my life's work.

Land of Opportunity

Frank's favorite was the collection of several  iconic playing pieces.

Do Watcha' Wanna Do, Be Watcha' Wanna Be



ROBIN:
This acrylic on canvas by Diana Krevsky with its toy ponies lined up on a wood shelf reminded me of my daughter's childhood with her collection of My Little Ponies.

Cutesyfiti

ME:
I liked the following textile sculptures by Susan Else because of the intricate stitching. Near the entrance was another pony themed textile sculpture by Susan Else, a carousel where humans are being ridden by ponies and the spectators are also ponies. This piece of art counts for my daughter as well as me because of the pony theme.

When Ponies Dream


I found the stitching work  fascinating. My daughter sews, also, so this double counts for her.


The next blue-colored, obliquely lit piece is as elephant on a unicycle on a tightrope. That is a very talented, very well-balance pachyderm.

Absolutely Amazing!


Here are two closeups of the sparkly beast, finely quilted in shiny, metallic thread.



Beneath the two poles supporting his (her?) high wire is an bargello type quilted platform. Or perhaps it is a fancy net? Either way, the colors and pattern certainly caught my fancy. The entire idea of an elephant balancing on a unicycle traversing a high wire is indeed fanciful in and of itself.



Exiting the gallery I could also appreciate the pavers on the entry patio outdoors. Those gentle curves and checks are like a quilt, are they not? I enjoyed this artful, inspirational, playful outing with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment