Sunday, March 10, 2019

Hamilton in San Francisco

Last week on Wednesday March 6th, Frank and I went to see Hamilton: An American Musical at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. We had tickets for a 1:00 pm matinee and took BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) into the city. We left with adequate time and were glad we had done so. There was a medical emergency at one of the stations and all trains were stopped and delayed for about 15 minutes. After climbing the stairs from our subway stop at Civic Center, we looked up and there was the Orpheum Theatre looming above us with the huge logo of the musical on its marquee.


The story is about Alexander Hamilton, his personal life, yes, but even more so the role he played in America's history, both in the revolution and in the initial setting up of our government and its financial system.


In the theatre we had BALCONY seats C201 and C202. They were on an aisle and pretty much centered so, even though were were up high and somewhat far away, we saw and heard well enough. We had a great overview of the action and were very impressed with a rotating stage that actors walked on and off with ease. Their motions were so synchronized and so well-timed I would think the blocking alone for the performance must have required a lot of planning and practice.


This is the view from our seats.We did not think to bring binoculars or opera glasses but we did fine without them.



Frank and I had slightly under 30 minutes to relax, eat a snack of peanut M&Ms, and get accustomed to and comfortable in our seats. I have pix of the two of us sitting side by side that I am unwilling to share. My selfies are blurry and of necessity taken at a very non-complimentary angle. It is a short arm and generational deficit, I fear.


The music and lyrics are by Lin-Manuel Miranda and the presentation is performed in a part-sung and part-rap style, a fair majority of it at a lightning fast pace. The sheer volume of words the performers needed to memorize was staggeringly impressive. 

I was a bit concerned about being able to understand audio from this distance but the actors enunciated well. Even with a fast-paced rap, Frank and I understood probably 80% to 85%. Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton were by far the clearest. I admit I had trouble understanding Lafayette. Rap is enough of a challenge for me without overlying it with a French accent! George Washington was very dominating in tone and in stature as a great leader. The King of England was short of stature and what a hoot! He was featured in two songs. In the second, after the revolution and establishment of the United States he sang
They say, George Washington's yielding his power and stepping away.
Is that true?
I wasn't aware that was something a person could do.
I'm perplexed.
Are they going to keep on replacing whoever's in charge?
If so who's next?
There's nobody else in their country who looms quite as large.
[whispers][Spoken]John Adams?
I know him. That can't be. That's that little guy who spoke to me
All those years ago. What was it '85?
That poor man, they're going to eat him alive.
Ocean's rise, empires fall. Next to Washington they all look small.
All alone watch them run. They will tear each other in to pieces,
Jesus Christ this will be fun.
Frank and I studied ahead of time. Several times we read a synopsis at the website http://www.themusicallyrics.com/h/351-hamilton-the-musical.html that also contained links to the lyrics of the songs. I listened to most of the songs from a CD our friend Vickie had lent to us while reading and re-reading the lyrics until I finally said to Frank, "You know, I have spent close to 4 hours studying for a 2-hour show." But it was worth the effort  – even though there was no test at the end. I got much more out of the performance. My daughter Robin sent me a link to a YouTube video of Lin-Manuel Miranda in 2009 when he was invited to perform a sample of Hamilton at the White House for an audience that included Barack Obama and his wife Michelle. It is slightly over four minutes long and worth a listen to give a sense of what the show was like. After seeing the show I also watched the Top 10 Hamilton songs on YouTube and the 11 minute segment did recall for me parts of the musical I especially liked. If debating whether or not to see Hamilton, this is a revealing snapshot of what to expect. There are glimpses of the rotating stage and the costuming.

Frank and I enjoyed Hamilton: An American Musical, much more than we were anticipating. We chose to go with an open mind but low expectations. We were apprehensive that the rap genre would be intimidating or boring or both. To the contrary, its rhythm was catchy and somewhat addictive. The performers were energetic. The stage sets were minimal but oh-so effective in their movement, transitions, and creativity. The costumes were soft shades of colors of the time; yet myself, a color aficionado, did not find them drab. They melded perfectly with the era and intent. The exceptions in the soldiers' uniforms – the strong blue of the Revolutionists and the bold red of the British – made a stark contrast that spoke of the harshness of war. I am in no way a history buff but this show made history much more intriguing for me than it ever was in my school days. I am glad I made the effort to see the musical that has been talked about so much.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such a fun day! I'm anxious to one day see Hamilton myself!

    ReplyDelete