Monday, December 24, 2018

Ponder Post: On a Snowy Christmas

On a Snowy Christmas by Brenda Novak tells the tale of a small chartered plane carrying two political rivals that crashes in the snowy mountains. The survivors Maxim and Adelaide must do all that is necessary to preserve body warmth and survive until rescued. Thus is the setting for arch enemies heading toward romantic attraction.


The story is trite but fast moving, the ending is predictable, but the book by Brenda Novak is an enjoyable light, holiday-themed read that I completed on Christmas Eve. It is worth three stars and, maybe because it is non-taxing and does not have a great deal of substance, it allows my mind to wander in other directions tonight. I am struck by the cover illustration of a red pickup truck carrying a pine tree. Although this book was originally published in 2009, that image seems to be a common theme in decor in the stores this year. I bought this cup and tray set at a Home Goods store last month. 


And I bought six of these melamine dishes a few weeks ago during a trip to the grocery store.


I also own fabric that I purchased earlier this year with this theme. The combination of green tree and red vehicle simply seems to make me smile. I am inspired to aim to make a 2019 Christmas quilt out of this fabric.


So here is the scene at our house tonight. As I write this post, Alex is intently and contently assembling puzzles at the butcher block table right behind me while watching a Winnie the Pooh video. An evergreen garland with stuffed ornaments is visible on the top of the cabinet behind him. We have just finished a dinner of spaghetti with sausages followed by freshly baked warm chocolate chip cookies. I baked two pumpkins pies earlier in the day but we have yet to cut into them. We will later, after I have whipped the cream for the topping.


A small Charles Wysocki tree sits before the window on a vintage scale in our family room.


The snow people in the family room flank the images of Owl and other Winnie the Pooh friends on the television.


This may be an atypical Christmas Eve  – eating spaghetti, reading romance novels, blogging, puzzling, and watching Winnie the Pooh instead of drinking hot chocolate or hot apple cider and singing carols –  but it is a peaceful and pleasant Christmas Eve. It may not be snow – it rarely is where we live in California – but I hear the rain splattering gently on the dome of our skylight. 

Last night Frank, Alex, and I made our annual traditional trip to see the lights at Deacon Dave's. The theme was more liturgical this year, "Away in a Manger", so perhaps, as a balance, we can embrace a more secular evening today. Tomorrow will be more standard, spent mostly in the living room, opening gifts in front of the Christmas tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment