Monday, December 4, 2017

Ponder Post: Finding Our Forever

Finding Our Forever ©2017 is the first of three novels in the Silver Springs Series by Brenda Novak. The second was No One But You ©2017 (post for 11/10/17) and the third was Until You Loved Me ©2017 (post for 11/2/17). I read them in reverse order but it made no difference. Their commonality was only in the location and that the male hero in each had been a student at New Horizons Boy's Ranch.


I chose to locate and read this book only for completion since I had enjoyed the second and third books in the series. My library did not have it so I went to Amazon. Was I ever surprised! Here is where the oddity begins. I surely do not know what was so special about this book but the price was outlandish – over $60 for a paperback! Now I was even more curious. There was an option where could download a Kindle version for $2.99 and read it with a free app on my Mac so that is what I did. Note though, that the cover image is from a hardcopy version. I do not know if it is normal but the kindle version had no cover image – advertising and excerpts from other books, yes, but cover image, no. And, come to think of it, the cover image has no relation to the book at all other than perhaps being out in the country.



I do have a Kindle but prefer not to use it. There is something more visceral to me about holding a book in your hand and turning the pages. I also am leery of taking an electronic device on a plane and running out of charge right at a critical point in the book. But I was proud of my self-propelled advancement into literary technology. I downloaded the book, installed the free kindle app for Macs, and was reading it on the big screen of my computer within a few minutes. Later I noticed that I could read it on my new iPad Pro as well, once I'd launched the new app on it. The iPad was even smart enough to know what page I had been on when reading off the computer screen. My problem of occasionally misplacing a book-in-progress in some unknown location was solved. My computer stays put and it syncs with my wandering iPad. I am not a complete convert, but I can now appreciate some of the advantages of electronic books.

So my experience with acquiring and reading this book was great! The book was only so-so. The plot is that the heroine Cora gets a job as an art teacher at the New Horizon's Boy's Ranch, a private school for troubled boys with behavioral issues due to a history of abuse, neglect, or abject poverty. Aiyana is the director and owner of the ranch. Cora is interviewed and hired by Eli, the eldest adopted son of Aiyana and the ranch manager. Cora was adopted at birth and her ulterior motive for wanting the job is that she has learned through the research of a private investigator she hired that her biological mother is Aiyana. Cora wants to get to know her biological mother better and find out why she was put up for adoption. Aiyana is a good soul, has never married, and has altruistically adopted eight boys who were former residents of the school. Why adopt eight children after giving up your own biological child?

An unintended complication of working at the school is that Cora is attracted to Eli and he to her. They agree to embark on a strictly physical relationship with no emotional strings attached. Well, it is pretty obvious where this will lead. Unlike the subsequent two books in the series, where plot is the main ingredient and the romance adds a bit of spice to the recipe, this book has a main course of sex. Perhaps that is why the sale price was so high. Does sex sell better?  The mystery behind the reason for Cora being put up for adoption is secondary. Truthfully, if I had read this book first, I probably would not have sought out the second and third in the series. I give Finding Our Forever three stars because it was not a total waste of time. Without pursuing it, I never would have learned about the kindle app, the benefits of electronic books, and – um – a few other things. And I thought a Brazilian was just a citizen of a South American country...

1 comment:

  1. Heh. I could have told you what a Brazilian was 10 years ago. But I'm glad you have discovered the joy of the ebook. Truthfully I imagine the first book was just limited run and that's why it's so expensive. Definitely a reason ebooks are so convenient, the publisher can't accidentally make too few and drive up the price! Sounds like a fun book, though, and I am excited to read the one you sent me.

    ReplyDelete