Saturday, September 9, 2017

Ponder Post: Sewing Themed Books

That Dorky Homemade Look
I received this short funny book by Lisa Boyer in a basket of winnings at my guild's quilt show. See my May 2, 2017 DianeLoves2Quilt post. It was a quick, amusing read that I completed on a plane flight to visit my daughter in Oklahoma in July. Granted it has a limited audience - quilters and sewists - but that audience will be delighted with the pearls of wisdom and dribbles of mirth found within its pages.


By the way there is a movement afoot to call crafters who sew "sewists" and not "sewers". This name change proposal is prevalent, mainly among bloggers who sew. They wish to connotatively combine the craft of sewing with the concept of an artists - hence sewists. A Threads Magazine article briefly outlines the pros and cons. Candidly, I think a stronger reason is to avoid mispronunciation of the existing term "sewer".


Here is the table of contents for That Dorky Homemade Look showing the short essay titles. Some topics are quite funny while others are satisfying. For example, one addresses spot on, the often sensitive question, actually quite dreaded for impulse fabric purchases, "What are you going to use that fabric for?"


I have hinted below on the subject matter for some of my favorite chapters:

The Fabric Funny Farm
     Organizing fabric not by color ... but by mood ..?
Beauty and the Beast
     An encouraging pep talk to enter your quilt in a quilt show
Quilting Quagmire
     A fun treatise on indecision
Oh Well, No One Will Notice
     
You can guess what this is about.
Make Your Husband Read This *
     Why many husbands are lacking in the art of gift giving
Quilters, Sharks, and Modern Plastics *
     
I chuckled my way through this one, read the book to see why.

*   These two essays are fun even for the non-quilting readers out there.

I will admit this book may fall flat with those not into quilting, but for those who quilt, or for those who even dabble in it, it will hit a home run. That Dorky Homemade Look is a short fun read that can easily be completed in one sitting.

*************************
The Lover's Knot
I was shocked in chapter 30 (of 58 chapters) when a bloody body was found on the floor of the local quilt shop. I guess I failed to get the memo that this was a murder mystery even though the back cover of this paperback clearly states

Young, hip, and heartbroken – Nell picks up the pieces of her life and pieces together clues for an unsolved murder in the small town of Archers Rest.


I grabbed this book to read from Frank's pile of completed books just before jumping on a last-minute flight down to Dan when he had his emergency appendectomy. I picked the ~300 page The Lover's Knot mainly because it was thin, light-weight, and probably not too brain intensive. At its page dimensions of 5¼" x 8", larger than the typical grocery store romance paperbacks, it indeed could be thinner, only ⅝". It indeed was lightweight. But, when the suspect list includes all the members of the Friday Night Quilt Club, the cast was heavyweight. I had a terrible time keeping them straight... Eleanor, Nell, Nancy, Nanette, Natalie, Suzanne, Carrie, Maggie... aargh! It was a bit more brain intensive than I had bargained for. All those N's! Then the guys Jess, Marc, Ryan, Barney... were added to the mix. My head was in a whirlwind. Wait. I think Barney was the dog. You get the idea.



The back story of a broken romance between Nell and Ryan was much less taxing for me to follow. But does that play into the murder? This was a well-written murder mystery but one from which I did not get the full benefit. I wish I had been in a less distracted mindset and able to pay more attention. After all isn't a murder mystery better when the reader is try to figure out whodunnit? Frank reads more quilt-themed murder mysteries than I do so the plot lines must be pretty good. Or else is it just a staunch husbandly display of solidarity...?

The title Lover's Knot is based on the name for a quilting pattern of interlocking strips. There are other quilting and fabric allusions sprinkled throughout. They add a nice touch but are not necessary to the solution of the mystery. I particularly enjoyed a paragraph in which a seasoned quilter is trying to convince a newbie to take up the hobby.

I think it's [quilting's] really the absolute best way to deal with a problem. It's a right brain, left brain activity. There's a lot of math and figuring out patterns and amounts of fabrics, so that's one side, then the other is taken up with the whole creative process. So when you are quilting, you are completely involved in it. There's no space leftover in your brain for worrying about your problems.

I copied this image from another blog https://custom-writing.org/blog/left-vs-right-brain. Funny, quilting is not included on the diagram. There is COLOR though!


I think I would rate his book more favorably if I had been paying more attention. It is the first of five books in the Someday Quilts Mystery series by Clare O'Donohue. On Amazon, books in this series typically get 4 - 4½ stars so I will definitely give at least one or two of the others a try. As an indicator of my vote of confidence, I just put books two, three, and four on hold at my local library.

1 comment:

  1. I am still excited to read that Dorky Homemade book someday... it sounds right up my alley (although these days I need a companion book for homemade clothing) and, major points to Dad for reading quilting mysteries! Those do look fun, although all the people with similar-sounding names would throw me off too. I guess a mystery needs a big supporting cast to keep up the suspense! I agree with the left brain/right brain thing, because quilting lets me create even though when it comes to other types of art, I am hopelessly right-brained!!!!

    ReplyDelete