Monday, October 12, 2015

SoCal Weekdays

Last week Frank and I visited Dan, Carrie and Vivian in Southern California, Wednesday night, September 30th through Monday morning, October 5th. Thursday and Friday, while Dan and Carrie were at work and Vivian at daycare, I was to work on sewing barstool covers for them. I had brought along my new featherweight sewing machine as a carry on item in order to do so. I'd also offer to cook dinner on the days they worked. We would have visiting time in the evening and more over the weekend when they were off from work and at home.

Wednesday
The original plan was for us to arrive early afternoon, collect our luggage and drive out to visit Dan's new work site.  Three of our four pieces of checked luggage merrily careened down the luggage ramp and out onto the carousel but the fourth piece was not so forthcoming. It was a box that contained the 24" diameter wooden top to a child's two-chair and table set we had bought for Vivian. We waited in hopes it would come on the next flight but no luck. We left the airport with a delayed baggage incident report in hand and the verbal assurance it would be delivered to us once it was located. Conjecture was that it had been held up in security since it was a box, not a piece of luggage and therefore subject to more stringent inspection. Other theories included that is had not been off-loaded from our flight and had been flown off to another destination. We would need to wait until it could be placed on a return flight from where-ever.

With our delayed departure from the airport we lost our window of opportunity to visit Dan at work and so drove directly to see Vivian at her swim lesson. She loves the water and will duck her head under the surface quite willingly. I was also pleased to see that one of the safety skills being taught is how to climb out.


After swim lessons we went to dinner at Panera Bread and eventually home to Dan and Carrie's place where we got to plant our butts on a soft couch, put up our feet,  relax, and breathe a sigh of relief/exhaustion. We unfolded the hide-a-bed to crash for the night when my cell phone rang about 10:00 pm. An upbeat voice asked how would we like an 11:00 o'clock delivery of our lost item.  I said great, thinking everyone would be at work or daycare and Frank and I could hang out and wait around for it the next morning. Partway through the phone call I thought to ask if that 11:00 o'clock was AM or PM? PM was the prompt response. I thought "better get it while they still know where it is" and so agreed to the late night delivery. They confirmed the address and we were told the driver would call if he had trouble finding it.

Dan and Carrie's house is in a new development, the layout of which is a bit unique. The homes share a common courtyard and each home's garage access is from that area. The courtyard has no name and neither does the access to the courtyard from the street. See the following photos. Frank was concerned the driver would be unable to locate the unlabeled access at night. He changed back into his clothes from his pajamas, took a folding chair, a book, and a flashlight and went to sit out at the curb to wait for the driver.


Frank came back in at 11:30 when the driver had called to say he was still at the airport, was planning his delivery route, and could not locate where we were. After some explaining, it was agreed the driver would call when close and Frank would be out there to flag him down. Frank got back into bed with his street clothes on, holding my cell phone. After a repeat of the folding chair, flashlight, book, curbside routine, Frank successfully brought in the box containing 24" diameter table top around 1:30 am. He stashed the box along the hallway wall and flopped back into bed – again. I was not his favorite person that night, having purchased this gift for our granddaughter. The chairs had disassembled sufficiently and the table legs had unscrewed form the top such that all the other parts went into a suitcase.

Thursday
We completed the table assembly first thing Thursday morning. Vivian noticed it as soon as she came downstairs and sat at it. I think it is sooo cute and perfect for her! And I got it for a bargain at Home Goods. In my defense, Vivian really, really liked it and started using it right away.


Otherwise, Thursday got off to a slow start. The interrupted slumber due to the delivery of the package from the airline, plus luggage carrying, plus sleeping funny gave me a somewhat painful kink in my neck and shoulder area. When life gives you lemons make lemonade. So instead of sewing, Frank and I set off to find a Joann's fabric store to acquire more yardage of the barstool fabric I needed. A fabric store cures just about any ailment for me. I delayed the sewing of the covers, but the progress I did make on them can be seen in my DianeLoves2Quilt blog, the entry for October 7th. As luck would have it, both the JoAnn's fabric store and Dan's new job were in Huntington Beach just 6 minutes apart from each other. We gave Dan a call and then Frank and I took the opportunity to visit the offices and warehouse area of the design and build construction company where he is newly employed.

After visiting Dan at work, we did some grocery shopping before returning home to prepare dinner while Dan and Carrie were still at work. I made a chicken, rice, and mushroom soup casserole at Dan's request and had broccoli as a veggie.


Vivian loves her broccoli trees and she was pretty fond of the casserole, too. We ate out back on their new patio Thursday night but here she is enjoying the leftovers the following Saturday evening.


Friday
Friday morning my neck and shoulder were not yet at 100% so Frank and I took our time getting ready in the morning. After we each had taken a relaxing bath, we went for a stroll in the neighborhood before the heat of the day. Just around the corner were new model homes for further building in Dan and Carrie's development. Frank and I enjoyed wandering through them. Some of the decor was appealing and I took some photos for ideas for Vivian's room. Her room now is decorated in pinks and greens with a little bird motif. I thought these pillows would be appropriate additions.


As a "sewist", I also was also interested in the construction of this pillow on the bed in another model home. I liked how by pleating striped fabric and top stitching the folds in opposite directions you get this clever wave effect.


Did you know the new term is not sewer but "sewist"? That is the leaning now because the word sewer can be pronounced two ways and one is not very complimentary... so-er or sue-er.


Dan has just completed a class in hunting safety so he can go hunting with his father-in-law in Ohio at Thanksgiving. These trophies were displayed on the wall in another one of the models. I suggested the center one might be a better alternative to a hunting expedition – easier, safer, lighter, less messy.


I also took this photo of wall hanging I found particularly interesting. Look closely. This is a chair and its shadow.


This painting made me think of how much Alex likes Mary Poppins. The black and yellow color combination is so cheery, it reminded me of his continual exuberant clapping as he watches the movies and shows he enjoys. Alex was not with us this trip


After touring the models we came back to home base and I cooked spaghetti for dinner. Vivian played with some of the toys we'd brought...


... and so did we.


After Vivian was bathed and in bed, Dan stayed up with Frank and me watched a bit of TV, Jeopardy and reruns of our favorite parts of the old movies Sleepless in Seattle (1993) and Jerry Maguire (1996). Remember that memorable line? "You had me at Hello." RenĂ©e Zellweger does not have the corner on that market. The same can be said for our granddaughter. We were looking forward to the weekend days of our visit and more time with her.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you could visit! Vivian is getting great use out of her new table every day! Thanks, again, for buying - and hauling it! - all the way down here.

    Oh, two points of clarification. Both of your photos of our courtyard are looking in the exact same direction - east. And, Dan will be hunting in New York next month, not Ohio. Viv and I are flying to Ohio and he's flying to Erie, PA, where my brother will pick him up and drive him to our cabin in NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are correct about the compass directions. You ought to know. You live there. The sun does rise in the east after all, doesn't it? I thought what I called the south view was looking down the long stretch of homes off to your side where the car access not the walking access to the courtyard was. I did not recall as many homes along the walking access, but I stand corrected.

      And about the hunting - I kinda thought it would be near your family cabin in NY but I did not know that Dan was not getting there via Ohio. Separate vacations already? An active toddler can do that to ya! (Just joking.)

      Delete
    2. Ha! We've already gone on many separate vacations (Viv and I have been to Colorado twice without him, Ohio twice without him, and NorCal once without him; and he's been on a guys' trip north of LA without us, and he's going on another guys' trip to the Central Coast next month). Somehow all of our separate vacations means that Dan gets to relax and enjoy some quiet, alone time or time with friends and I'm left still stressed, mostly on my own, caring for Vivian. But, of course, I can't leave her while still nursing her. She goes with me. Someday, though, when my nursing days are over, I'm going to go on a separate vacation (and probably just sleep for 36 hours by myself in a hotel room!).

      Delete