Monday, September 7, 2015

Ponder Post: Self Portraits

Last week Frank and I consolidated our mobile phone accounts to both be on Verizon. I transferred my old white cell phone to him and I got an iPhone6. It is a bit bigger than the iPhone5 so the screen is easier to read but I am glad I did not get an iPhone6+ which would have been too huge to fit in most pockets. Talking on it would have been like holding a tablet to my ear. Because I wanted a white phone again, I selected a pretty blue protective case so Frank and I can tell our cell phones apart at a glance. I selected a calm blue screen saver and it looks so serene. I just wanted to show it off so I took a photo of my new cell phone with my Lumix digital camera.


This made me realize that a cell phone, unlike its user, cannot take a picture of itself. If a cell phone could take a picture of itself, would that be a cellfie?

I pondered this because coincidentally, just the other evening, Frank I learned a crucial fact from watching Jeopardy. The Eleventh Edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary added "selfie" to its official list of words in 2014.

Definition of SELFIE:

an image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera especially for posting on social networks

What technological marvel will be next?

2 comments:

  1. A post about selfies with no selfie in it... Is there a word that means "the opposite of 'meta'?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold a cell phone to a mirror and it takes a selfie!

    ReplyDelete