Saturday, August 22, 2015

Colorado Springs: Attitude, Altitude, Aptitude

On Tuesday, August 11 we visited the United States Air Force Academy. I had an idealized concept of an educational institution renown for graduating leaders of our nation.


We started in the visitor center, location #5 on the following map, by watching a movie about the cadets' four years in the academy. The movie was information lean and seemed more of a college recruitment film. Scenes where first years are awoken to pounding on their doors, yelling, whistles, and a generally harsh and abrupt transition from sleep I found cruel, and, not being from a military background, thought the practice quite senseless. The film did rationalize though that military personnel need to learn to awaken in stressful situations, since that could very likely be the case when deployed. This was the first time I had heard this argument, and it maybe softened my view somewhat. Personally I still think it a bit like condoned hazing and it tainted my opinion of the academy to some extent. Especially when a second year cadet, carrying out the rude awakening, grinned into the camera and quipped, "This is fun!"


We browsed for a short while in the visitor and information center before joining a guided tour of the architecturally lauded chapel and a distant view of a small section of the campus at the westernmost end of the academy grounds. Our walk from the visitor center to the chapel and cadet area encompassed a slight rise up and over a gentle hill. We took it slow as I was somewhat short of breath, a foreign feeling that has made me much more aware of the trials of asthmatics. I'd also had this experience the day before at the Garden of the Gods, where negotiating a slight inclined ramp from the parking lot had winded me. I was on a bunch of medications for allergic congestion, a leftover from my Oklahoma trip, and the 6400' elevation did not help - nothing daunting, just a bit disconcerting. The Air Force Academy cadet area is approximately 7300' above sea level. At this altitude, it is possible to contract an illness known as acute mountain or high-altitude sickness. Here are Sue and Joe taking a brief breather at the apex of the hill against a backdrop of sweeping scenic views.


It would have been better if tour guides had been cadets of the academy. Instead, our tour guides were summer hires with memorized spiels and minimal knowledge, unable to answer questions, and intent on keeping the tour generic, brisk, and on schedule. Although lingering was not encouraged, we did get an overview of the seventeen-spired chapel structure. Rather than being a multi-denominational space, like the chapel on the MIT campus, the Cadet Chapel has separate, segregated spaces for each of the religions. Architectural details throughout were symbolic of air force images and icons. We saw the Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist areas.

The largest area on the highest level was the Protestant Chapel.  The subtle color gradation from back to front of the stained glass windows was to mimic the change in the color of the sky with ascent.


The end of the pews were shaped like propellor blades and the back edges of the pews had metal overlays representative of the leading edge of an airplane wing.


Beneath the Protestant Chapel was the smaller Catholic Chapel. Those two angels were hewn from solid marble slabs.


The doors leading into the Catholic Chapel were of a riveted metal panel construction reminiscent of the fuselage of an airplane.


Outside the Jewish temple portion were round buttons, utilitarian to hang coats during worship. The tongue in cheek legend was that one of them, if pushed, would release a missile from a silo.


From outside the chapel, looking east, we surveyed at a distance the dormitories and classrooms area where the cadets sleep and learn. It was an flat, expansive, sun-baked area, very functional in nature, but to me did not seem to take advantage of the beautiful environs surrounding it. I was surprised to learn there is no pilot training at the academy, only after students graduate and enter the military. Fourth year cadets, though, are granted the experience of going up for a ride in a glider.


From some overlooks on our way out, locations #2, #3, and #4 on the introductory map, we got an overview of the true expanse of the academy. The Air Force Academy campus encompasses 18,500 acres. This vastness was a compelling reason for Colorado Springs being chosen for the school's site.


This panorama is looking south across the expanse of the grounds. The seventeen-spired chapel, where we'd just been, can be seen in the distance just to the right of center.


That evening, while John & Sue were dining with a local acquaintance at a restaurant near downtown historic Colorado Springs, Joe & Margaret and Frank & I enjoyed an effort-effective and tasty dinner of leftover grilled chicken breast, rice, and veggies back at home base. We followed it up with a four-person rousing game of Anomia at this rather massive set of table and chairs in the dining room.


Boardgame Geek, a site that reviews board games describes the card game as follows.

Anomia
plays off the fact that our minds are positively brimming with all sorts of random information: things to eat, pop songs, websites, etc... Sure, under normal circumstances, it's easy to give an example of a frozen food or a dog breed, but you'll find that your brain works a little differently under pressure!


The think-fast game brought a sheepish grin to each of our faces in turn as we struggled to recall names for items that were just on the tips of our tongues but refused to pop out of our mouths when we wanted. However can someone spit out the word "unicorn" before I can summon up the word "blue"?


When we retired to our rooms at the end of evening, I looked forward to the sanctuary of our luxurious master suite, graciously deferred to Frank and me by our traveling companions. Thanks, guys!


I was very much aware of my huffing and puffing as I climbed the climb the stairs to bed. In my defense it was a long set of stairs and our room was the last one at the end of the long, banister-bordered walkway.


Additionally, I had just learned by downloading an app My Altitude onto my iPhone that where we were staying was at 7500' above sea level, higher than even the Air Force Academy where we'd been earlier that day. At this elevation the air pressure is about 10 psi, two thirds that of the 14.7 psi at sea level. Further research revealed that this is the typical cabin pressure in an airplane; however I am quite sedentary in an airplane and not clambering back and forth up and down stairs as I do at home in Livermore. For comparison, here is what the My Altitude app reads for Livermore.


I can breather easier now that I have my feet back on home – and lower – turf!

2 comments:

  1. I thought that your comments about the Academy were very interesting. Although I've never toured it myself, I can imagine having some of the same reactions to the environment there as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit underwhelmed with the academy. I reworded this post several times. I finally rationalized that perhaps the academy focuses on turning out leaders in the way they think best and does not put a high priority on public relations so I should it extend the benefit of the doubt.

      Delete