Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ponder Post: Marry Not an Engineer

This post is just for giggles. Frank walks one morning a week with his friend Alan. This particular day he left before I was up and so he left me a note. It was hastily written on a napkin and left on the stairs for me to see first thing. Here it is.

Communication can take many forms.

I looked at it and thought, "What the heck does he mean by iron dog?"

Well he was being clever in having the "D" do double duty, telling me that our Golden Retriever Daphne had been fed and that I did not need to do it. The engineer in me initially read "Fe" as the elemental abbreviation for "Iron". It dawned in on me soon after but not immediately. Funny. I did not interpret the Al for Alan as "Al" for "Aluminum".

For those of you who are vaguely trying to recall a poem by the post title, Marry Not an Engineer, well, here it is. It was obviously written when engineers were males only.


This poem was distributed on a little yellow card by Schweber Electronics in the 1960's.
(At least that is what my trusty Google research told me.)

Does this bring back any memories for you pre-calculator techies out there?

1 comment: